Monday, August 3, 2009

Birding Bombay Hook

Saturday I spent the day birding Bombay Hook, Delaware and the nearby Port Mahon. Bombay Hook was just wonderful and I was very happy to see all the birds we saw. If you enjoy wildlife and have not been to Bombay Hook you should plan a visit soon. We started off the day braving the bugs while walking on the boardwalk trail. During the walk we saw a wonderful sighting of a GREEN HERON in flight. The Green Heron is one of my favorites of the herons except for maybe the Littel Blue Heron which is also a favorite. Also there were Great Egret trees and what I believe was a very noisy Marsh Wren.







The AMERICAN AVOCETS in the picture below were a real treat to see and one of my favorites sightings of the day. Even with a large amount of Avocets the Great Egrets had the highest count of all the birds we saw.

















At the Raymond Pool we saw more Great Egrets, Snowy Egrets, Cattle Egrets, Great Blue Herons, American Avocets, several species of Sandpipers, Sanderlings, Yellowlegs, Willets, Black Necked Stilts and probably the most Short Billed Dowitchers I have ever seen.



























Further along the drive at the Shearness Pool we saw even more Great Egrets, Snowy Egrets, Glossy Ibis and GB Herons. Along here we also saw adult BLACK CROWNED Night Herons and a few juvenile BC Night Herons.



















As we made our way along the drive to Finnis Pool, I was excited to see the male and female BLUE GROSBEAKS. They were out in the open and gave me some very good looks.


This is close to where I had got my surprise lifer, a NORTHERN BOBWHITE decided to come out of the brush and walk on the road in front of my car. Yahoo, a Bombay Hook lifer!





















Here is a list of other birds I saw in no special order: Juvenile Bald Eagle, unidentified Terns, Killdeer, Common Yellowthroat Warbler, Mockingbird, American Goldfinch, Eastern Kingbird, Semipalmated Sandpipers, Eastern Wood Pewee, Purple Martins, Tree Swallows, Barn Swallows, Laughing Gulls, Yellowlegs and Wood Ducks . Along with seeing birds we saw a lot of turtles. At Port Mahon there were many different Swallows, a couple of Ospreys, Ruddy Turnstones and Sandpipers, Dunlins and Sanderlings.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for visiting my blog. I always appreciate your comments.

BTW, Anonymous comments unless a name is included will not be published. Also, comments with links will be deleted.

Have a happy day, Eileen

Happy Monday!

Wishing everyone a great day and a ha ppy new week! "One small positive thought in the morning can change your whole day." "T...