Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Golden Crowned & Yellow Crowned

Today, I am linking up with World Bird Wednesday  and  Nature Notes showing two very different birds but they have something in common and that is their crown. Lately, I have been seeing many Golden Crowned Kinglets on my walks. They are cute little birds and during their quick movements you can see a flash of yellow on their heads. The Kinglets are usually seen in the winter months in Maryland. My field guide has the Golden Crowned Kinglet as 4inches in length. It is a small bird.




The other bird is a much larger bird but also has a Yellow Crown. It is the Yellow Crowned Night Heron. These are shots are from my archives and these birds are seen mostly in the summer months around Maryland. The Yellow Crowned Night Heron measures 24 inches in length.





There is one more Yellow Crowned bird out there that I have seen here in Maryland.  I was not able to get a photo and that bird is the Golden Crowned Sparrow. I hope to someday get a shot of the Golden Crowned Sparrow to add to my bird photo collection.

I hope you enjoyed my Golden and Yellow Crowned birds. To see more wonderful birds
check out World Bird Wednesday and for great nature post please visit Nature Notes.  Thanks to Springman the host of World Bird Wednesday and to Michelle for hosting Nature Notes.
Also, thank you for stopping by to see my birds and post. Happy Birding and have a great day!

26 comments:

  1. i've seen a ruby-crowned kinglet once. they are SO tiny and cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw a Kinglet once -- they are almost as tiny as a hummingbird. It's amazing that you are able to get such good pictures!

    I love the night heron too.

    Hope someday you get your crown trifecta! (I would be happy just to see the third one -- and, in fact, to see the other two again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never have seen the kinglet yet but when in Florida do see that Heron. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are amazing!! i love the night heron, that's a special one!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Eileen! First off I really like the header you've choosen. What a cool path. A Yellow-crowned night heron? Wow! I did not know. And what a great picture too. The Golden crowned kinglet is a new one on me as well. Thanks for the education!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm! A color themed bird blog - a great idea! I hope you can see and photograph the other bird you want.
    I really like your photo at the head of your blog. What is the beautiful red plant?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is amazing how small the distinctive marking can be that gives a bird its name.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The yellow crowned night heroin looks so vivid.

    And the header is as attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. both of the yellows are gorgeous in their own way. I have some shots of the little Kinglets that I will post soon.
    The heron is great too. Always seem to be looking for prey.

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a handsome heron..
    and what a nice header!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The yellow crowned night heron is very handsome. they all look like they have mohawk hairstyles. You can tell that I'm not a birder but I like watching them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful Heron. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  13. such beautiful little and big crowned birds!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay...I am officially jealous.
    meggs.xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a cute little Kinglet!! and he really does have a yellow crown!
    and i love the little feathers off the back of the night heron's head! (i was lucky enough to spot one of these a few months ago...while visitng a state pk here. first time i'd ever seen one!!)

    beautiful photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have never seen either of these birds Eileen, and thanks for these great photos. Thanks also for stopping by and leaving such caring comments on my father-in-law's surgery. So sweet of you to do that and much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great captures! They are both lovely birds.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is interesting seeing how two very different birds have very similar crowns. Great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  19. One big, one small - both with splendid royal crowns. Great captures.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Eileen, I have never seen one of these elegant-looking herons! Quite beautiful! Great pictures of the bird! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  21. ...both these birds, just beautiful; nice captures!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Eileen, I have seen Ruby-crowned Kinglets but never a Golden-crowned.
    Nor have I seen this particular heron.
    Hmmm...a Golden-crowned Sparrow would be nice sighting for me also.:)
    Love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've never seen either of these birds. Thanks for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful birds. You captured them wonderfully. Love all your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I do love the look of the herons and wasn't familiar with either of these birds Eileen....Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Hello, thank you for visiting my blog. I always appreciate your comments.

BTW, Anonymous comments unless a name is included will not be published. Also, comments with links will be deleted.

Have a happy day, Eileen

Happy Monday!

Wishing everyone a great day and a ha ppy new week! "Sometimes miracles are just good people with kind hearts." Rick's Cafe, N...